POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Invisible
Date: 31 Mar 2008 09:01:41
Message: <47f0eec5@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:

> The newer Word format is supposedly more open. It's an XML-based format,
> IIRC. I dunno what sort of proprietary stuff they've crammed into it,
> though.

How about deliberately defining it in such a way that only Word itself
can really "understand" what its content means?

XML is no magic bullet for instant portability...

> People complain that Windows is unstable. This was true up to ME. After
> Windows XP hit the market, the NT Kernel went mainstream, and Windows
> has been extremely stable ever since.

When XP first came out, it required insane amounts of resources and was
hopelessly unstable. Over time they seem to have somehow fixed the
stability issues; today XP is pretty stable. And... well, hardware as
advanced so much that nobody *even notices* how much XP is wasting them.

Now look at Vista. I'm anticipating the same story all over again. Right
now, you'd be insane to use Vista. It's just too flaky, and it's too
expensive to construct a machine that's sufficiently high-end to run it
even moderately well. Maybe in another 10 years it'll be OK...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/